Thursday, March 29, 2007

Labour MP for Hendon - "It is a matter of pride to me that I have been a high spender (of £37,000 taxpayers money on stationary)

Shadow Leader of the House rounds on the Labour MP for Hendon over his rather large stationary expenses. Excerpts below. Full link here.

Theresa May, "According to the official figures, several Members already claim more than £20,000 a year in stationery and postage costs. I see that the hon. Member for Hendon (Mr. Dismore) is in his place in the Chamber, and we may well hear from him later on how he spent £37,000 of taxpayers' money on stationery."

Labour MP for Hendon, "...I would simply say that those people who are concerned about the issue should read my comments in the previous debate, in which I quoted a large number of constituents who were grateful to receive the information that I was providing to them. It is a matter of pride to me that I have been a high spender, because it shows that I have been working as hard as I can to keep my constituents informed. I simply regret that today's decision will mean that I am less able to do that."

Theresa May, "I simply point out, as I did in the previous debate, that although he says that his communications with his constituents are gladly welcomed, turnout in his constituency at the election was just 58 per cent. In fact, he had a larger drop in his percentage share of the vote than Members in neighbouring constituencies did. Perhaps he might like to think about that, and reflect that his voters might like him a little bit more if they heard from him less."

No comments:

Post a Comment